A reflection on what I learned from this week’s sprint is that when proper systems have been setup and the team synergy has reached proficient levels, the completion rate of tasks increase during the sprint and communication within the group is significantly better.
On the topic of proper systems, this includes repository management, branch management, issue tracking, and issue discussions. These five systems are currently being utilized between the two groups assigned to this project. It took several months of trial and error to effectively plan out guidelines and familiarize ourselves with them. This effectively allowed the groups to communicate clear intentions towards a certain issue, reduce duplications of tasks, and complete significantly more tasks this sprint than all previous sprints.
Furthermore, improvements towards team synergy allowed us to communicate more frequently during our sprint planning. This resulted in less confusing discussions as we can express our concerns towards specific tasks or directly question certain decisions without fear.
Our main focus for this week’s sprint was to finish the remaining tasks that would be carried over to this week’s sprint, clean up any mess made during the development cycle and create an appropriate presentation detailing our experience working on the project. Finishing up the remaining assigned tasks will allow us to close up loose ends. This will also create an opportunity to remove all active and past branches on git before another group takes on the project.
The remaining tasks consisted of several input fields for the intake form. We chose to continue these tasks because they are relatively simple to implement. Other tasks that were too large of a job were postponed indefinitely and were not considered. An example of this would be designing a database schema for the backend. The reason for abandoning this task for this sprint is that there would not be enough time between discussing and creating new iterations of the schema to clear up problems. Time invested towards designing the database where the implementation will probably be done by a future group would deem efforts wasted. The effort redistributed towards working on the presentation was deemed more useful.
Our group contained five members, of which four worked on the Food Pantry Web Application and one was dedicated to the FoodKeeper API. For our presentation, we each contributed as much information about what was done throughout this project’s development process. In the end, it is clearly divided into a section for the Thea’s Food Pantry Web Application and FoodKeeper API.
What I worked on during this week’s sprint is providing appropriate code snippets for the backend. This also includes providing any missing content based on the requirements provided for the presentation. Lastly, I made an effort to ensure a smooth delivery of the presentation by suggesting a system for delivery. The system is quite simple as we marked down exactly which slides, we would like to cover, exchange ideas on how the information will be presented, and made sure that if changes needed to be made, the group will be notified. As our chapter for this project comes to a close, the experiences thus far was impactful and I enjoyed working with my team for the past month on this project as a whole.