A reflection on what I learned form this week’s activities is that everything is easier said then done. We are given a sprint board and should strive to meet the objectives by the end of the sprint. However, it is not surprising there is issues to be accounted for during the first sprint. As expected, the amount of communication outside of class is lacking than when we are interacting with one another during class. In regard to this, the solution is to make sure that everyone is fully aware that our only source of communication, Slack, is important to check every day. As it also affects our course grade due to our attendance with the sprint standups. This is solution is also applicable to any problems regarding communication in the future as it’s simple to address but execution requires effort.
At the start of the sprint, our
backlog started with two items to complete. The first item is summarized to
speaking with other university professors about what information is valuable.
The steps taken to ensure we have contact with the other professor was to join
the appropriate slack channel. In this case, I joined the LibreFoodPantry slack
channel with my respective group members and under the “food-saver” channel.
Our group got information indirectly from another team’s question regarding the
REST API addressed to the other university’s professor. In response, we learned
that they would like to know how long an item can be eaten opposed to its
actual expiration date, and possibly a way of filtering by food categories.
This is the first step but there is a roadblock, even if we know what is needed
from the client, if we don’t have a place to begin then it seems pointless to
know what they need.
block is what leads to our second item in the sprint backlog, which is to
develop the REST API interface to manipulate a JSON file. From the Department
of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service, we are provided a public
JSON file to work with.
The first step is to figure out
where to start, and my approach was to tackle a small issue that was mentioned
beforehand, which is a place to store, and pull the JSON file from. In which, I
spent about an hour looking up information about DigitalOcean and there was a
way of getting 12 months of access to DigitalOcean for free from GitHubs
Student Developer Pack. However, I put this information on the back of my mind
since another member was looking into Heraku.
In response, I chose to get started
on researching about REST API. The first site visited is restfulapi.net which
introduced the concepts of REST. Next, since the group unanimously decided to
work with JAVA as the preferred language, I decided to revisit my favorite java
IDE, IntelliJ IDEA. On the JetBrains site, it provided a tutorial to REST API
web services which I read and got introduced to the JAX RS library. Lastly,
after completing that tutorial, I learned that it was not the place to begin
this journey and found the “Building a RESTful Web Service” with spring
tutorial. In conclusion, I’m still working on the spring tutorial and that is
where this sprint ended for me.
What I produced this sprint: